INITIATION TO BODYBUILDING
DESIGN AND CARRY OUT YOUR OWN STRENGTH TRAINING PLAN
The next task is to design and implement a training plan to improve strength. To do this we must select a series of exercises from the list that you can find below. To execute our training plan we are going to use a basic organization, which consists of combining a large muscle group with a small muscle group. To achieve a good distribution of the staff among all the students, we are going to organize the class into three different routines. This way we will prevent everyone from doing the same exercises on the same day:
- Chest and back part of arm
- Back and front part of the arm
- Legs and shoulders
We will organize the students in pairs and distribute them into three teams A, B and C. Group A will start with routine 1, group B with 2 and group C with 3. In each session they will move on to the next routine following a circular order.
Taking into account the muscle groups that must be trained each day, students must select 4 exercises for large muscle groups (chest, back and legs), and 2 exercises for small muscle groups (biceps, triceps and shoulders). With this, they will design a table, similar to the one in the example, with the exercises they have to do every day.
The design of these training routines will help us to learn a multitude of aspects related to the musculoskeletal system, such as the name of the body parts, bones and main muscles. In addition, we will take the opportunity to explain the concepts of volume and intensity in strength work and we will experience the different strength training methods.
Without a doubt, the most important aspect of this task is its application to the students’ real lives, since in a few years many of them will become gym users. At that moment it is essential that they have notions that help them to prevent injuries, that keep them away from miracle diets and prohibited products, and in general that they have knowledge that allows them to face their sports practice with safety and common sense.
SELECTION OF EXERCISES
Taking into account the muscle groups that must be worked out each day, students must select, from the exercises listed below, 4 exercises for large muscle groups, and 3 exercises for small muscle groups. These exercises will be written in a schedule like the one in the example that they must take to class every day when there is a strength session.
STEP BY STEP TASK
- Download the blank training table model on the page.
- Take a look at the exercises on the list and select the ones you like the most. You must take into account that you can perform the exercise with the material you have and that the exercise is suitable for you. If you have doubts about this ask your teacher to explain if it is appropriate for you and the reason.
- In your table write the name of the exercises you are going to practice each day.
- Don’t forget to carry your board in your backpack or on your cell phone so you can consult it everyday.
- Unless your teacher tells you, do not fill out the sections corresponding to sets, repetitions and rest.